FIG AND GOAT CHEESE
LEEK AND BRUSSELS
6 oz bittersweet chocolate, roughly
2 tbsp salted butter
1. For pastries: Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a
baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a medium saucepan, bring milk, butter,
salt, and sugar just to a boil over medium-
high heat. Remove from heat and add flour
while stirring vigorously. Once flour is well
incorporated, return saucepan to medium
heat and stir continuously until dough pulls
away from the sides of the pan and forms a
ball, about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
3. Transfer dough to the bowl of a stand
mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and
beat on medium for about 1 minute. Add
eggs one at a time, beating on medium to
4. Scoop tbsp-sized balls of dough on the
baking sheet a few inches apart. With a wet
finger, smooth out any points on the dough.
5. Bake until the puffs are well browned,
about 45 minutes. Let cool completely on wire
racks before filling.
6. For filling: In a medium saucepan, bring 1
cup of milk, sugar, and salt to a simmer over
medium heat. Once simmering, remove from
7. In a small bowl, whisk together remaining
⅓ cup of milk and cornstarch until corn-
starch is dissolved. Add eggs and whisk until
8. Temper egg mixture by slowly whisking
about half of the warm milk mixture into the
egg mixture. Strain the egg mixture with a
fine sieve and slowly whisk it back into the
saucepan with remaining milk mixture.
9. Return the egg and milk mixture to
medium heat and continue whisking until it
thickens and just comes to a boil, about 5-7
minutes. Remove from heat immediately and
quickly transfer to a bowl. Stir in vanilla.
10. With electric mixer in a large mixing
bowl, whip cream on medium high until it
holds soft peaks. Fold about one quarter
of the whipped cream into the still warm
custard until well incorporated. Cool to room
temperature then fold in remaining whipped
cream. Cover with plastic wrap directly on the
surface of the custard and refrigerate at least
1 hour or as long as overnight.